Giáp Ngọ New Year 2014
Namo Sakya Muni Buddha,
Dear all Buddhists and fellow countrymen,
The year 2013 has come to the end, and humans are welcoming the new Spring of 2014, which signals the coming of a new year. In the spirit of the changing cycle of the earth, Dong Hung Temple in Virginia Beach will celebrate the Giáp Ngọ’s Tết holiday at the temple, according to Buddhist and Vietnamese traditions.
The agenda of the Giáp Ngọ to New Year’s Eve (Lunar January 30 to the 3rd (February 2) is listed below.
In order to help all of you offer your best wishes of peace for the world and your family members, the temple will hold the “Duoc Su Luu Ly Phap Dan” ceremony on the night of the Second Day of the lunar New Year and the Third Day of the Tết holiday. We would like to invite all of you to join us for that event. For your connivence, if you would like to share merits to your family members, you can send the list of your beloved family’s names to the temple before the First day of the Tết.
In keeping with the fresh and happy atmosphere of the Vietnamese Tết’s holiday celebration, the temple will have traditional Vietnamese vegetarian foods, Karaoke and entertainment performed by local singers. We also will have Lion and Dragon's dances on the Tết holiday on the Third Day of the New Year.
This year the temple will distribute free hanging calendars for the year of 2014 to all of you who are interested. If you would like to have one for your home, please contact the temple or Song Que’s travel agency.
On behalf of Dong Hung Temple, we would like to wish you and your family a Happy New Year!
Virginia Beach, January 01, 2014
Đông Hưng Temple
Ven. Thich Chuc Hoi
New Year Agenda - Giáp Ngọ 2014
* Sunday January 26 (26 of the lunar month): 10:30 am: Tất Niên ceremony and Offering to the ancestors service. We invite all of the Buddhist followers who have deceased family members who are placed in the ancestors' room to come to the temple to offer foods and your merits to them.
* Thursday January 30 ( 30 Tết) 8:00pm to 10:00pm. Welcoming the New Year ceremony, and then distributing gifts and lucky envelopes for the New Year.
* Friday January 31 (The First Day of New Year):
- 10.00 am: Opening the sutra’s ceremony
- 8.00 pm: Medicine Sutra’s chanting
* Saturday ( The Second Day of New Year):
- 10.30 am: Offering to the Triple Gems ceremony
- 7.00 – 10.00 pm: PHÁP ĐÀN DƯỢC SƯ ceremony (offering candle’s light for peace ceremony) and entertainment’s event with Karaoke.
* Sunday February 2 ( The Third Day of New Year: 10.00 am – 3.00 pm: New Year celebration with Lion and Dragon’s dances)
- Special Bánh Tét made from the temple recipe will be distributed from January 19 to February 3 at the temple (This year we do not have a booth at the Philippine Cultural Center). We have two kinds of Bánh Tét (Mung bean cakes and banana cakes), and if you would like to order the cakes, please contact 757-689-3408.
- New Year Eve’s ceremony will start at 9:00pm and then the temple will distribute Lucky Money gifts to all of participants.
- 04/26/2014 00:10 - English language service announcement
- 04/11/2014 13:48 - Buddha’s Birthday Announcement
- 03/09/2014 18:06 - TCC World Religions Class Visits the Temple
- 03/09/2014 17:49 - Monk “E” Business
- 02/26/2014 00:48 - Announcement
- 11/05/2013 16:08 - TCC Class Visit, October 31, 2013
- 09/12/2013 17:28 - Announcement
- 08/03/2013 15:52 - Announcement Ullambana's Day 2013
- 08/03/2013 02:45 - The First Anual Great Compassion Festival
- 07/13/2013 19:00 - Compassion Festival Meeting and Request for Volunteers