Following the dharma-teaching tradition of previous patriarchs and great masters of our Buddhist sect through many generations in our homeland of Vietnam, we - the residing monks of Dong Hung Temple in Virginia Beach (aka Buddhist Education Center of America) - want to bring the Dharma (the teaching of the Buddha) to the public in general, and, particularly, to the residents of Hampton Roads.
Keeping true to the 2,500 year history of Buddhism, we shall realize the living Dharma under our present circumstances, in our own day and language and in a way that fits our own mentality. We shall remain open to discourse with all religious traditions that strive to contribute significantly to the alleviation of suffering. With this consideration we shall do our best to serve and benefit humankind and each individual without bias and without seeking profit.
Our purpose includes but is not limited to:
- Provide a place for worship, rituals, community events, Dharma lectures, meditation classes & retreats.
- Counsel and teach Buddhist moral practices for maintaining happy families and communities.
- Provide community clergy for ceremonies such as weddings, funerals, death anniversaries, and making hospital visits without any bias for religious beliefs.
- Provide classes based upon Buddhism basics, history, and practice.
- Dispatch teachers nationally for further Buddhist propagation and instruction.
Eastern Cultural (Vietnamese and others)
- Teach Vietnamese culture, language, tradition, and morality
- Host cultural and spiritual activities
- Organize, collect, and redistribute charitable donations based on community and world needs.
- Contribute essentials to those in dire need.